Why do kids say “no” to engineering?
Posted by Bert Maes on July 13, 2009
According to a survey conducted on behalf of the American Society for Quality there is a variety of reason why 85 percent of youth, ages 8 to 17, say they are not interested in a future engineering career.
The top three reasons were:
- Kids don’t know much about engineering — 44 percent.
- Kids prefer a more exciting career than engineering — 30 percent.
- They don’t feel confident enough in their math or science skills — 21 percent — to be good at it.
>> What will be – according to you – the consequences for manufacturing companies and the world’s economy?
>> RELATED POSTS:
- Why We’re Failing Math and Science in Engineering
- Studies in engineering less popular
- Ways to enhance teens’ interest in manufacturing
- 10 ways to attract women to manufacturing